The “Faster Mile” series is a workout program that encourages you to keep moving as you age. When we were younger, mobility and speed were automatic. Now that we are over 50, we are asking God for “One More…” whatever in life (fill in the blank). Come follow along as we train to keep moving. We will record our mile times in the bottom of our pictures measuring our progress.
We will start each workout with a 5 minute bike ride to warm up and a one mile timed run to measure our progress. After that we will complete a 20 minute workout that may help us hold on to that little boy inside of us that we so often forget.
5 minute bike ride, 1 mile walk/run, 20 minutes grubbing hoe.
- Bench Press Challenge
- 7 Minute Mile Challenge – Run a continuous mile and the time must be a maximum of 7 minutes 00 seconds
The goal for this challenge is to improve our blood circulation. One of the benefits of cardio is improved blood circulation. It has been more than 30 years since either of us have run a mile in less than 7 minutes.
This is how we plan to improve our mile time – we researched the web and interviewed runners that we know. These are some of the tips that were suggested.
- “You just need to lose weight.” – for every 10 pounds of body weight you lose, your time should improve by 20 seconds
- “To run faster you have to run more.” Some recommended running as much as 20 miles a week.
- “To run faster you have to run intervals. ” Run 8X200 meter intervals at the target pace while resting for 1 minute between each. Do this 3 or 4 times a week. Each week decrease the rest time until you can run the target pace continuously.
- “To run faster you have to run faster.” Run 50 and 100 yard sprints over and over and over every few days.
We plan to try all of these. Be on the lookout for some progress as we post our times each day.
Hydration – water is one of the best drinks for hydration
- The target is to drink a minimum of 4 bottles of water each day.
- Start off by replacing one bottle of soda (sugary drink) with a bottle of water. Once you get this habit established replace another bottle of soda with a bottle of water.
- Continue to replace other drinks with water and over time you will feel the benefits of drinking water.